It is hard to believe the holidays are here! Christmas and Hanukkah are a special time of year to spend with loved ones. It is important to keep in mind safety procedures so this time remains fun and memorable for all the right reasons. There is no better way to get in the holiday spirit than by decorating your home. The key to decorating is keeping your home and family safe from danger.
Fire danger is big this time of year because of the lights and candles used to decorate. This is also a time where there are extra cords and extension cords that can be tripped on, or chewed on by your pets. Here are some things to keep in mind when decorating your home this holiday season:
- Make sure smoke alarms are working
- Inspect all electrical decorations before hand to check for any damaged parts
- Keep candles in a safe place away from flammables
- Buy a “fire resistant” tree, this is not fire proof but will be more resistant to fire
- Water your tree regularly so the pine needles do not dry out and become a fire hazard
- Tape all loose electrical cords to the walls so nobody trips and animals do not chew on them
- Turn off all interior lights when going to bed
- Remind your family of fire safety
I truly hope each and every one of you has a wonderful, safe holiday season!